From October 2020 it will be a legal requirement for horse and pony owners in the UK to microchip their equines.
Benefits of microchipping your horse:
- Helps to safeguard the welfare of horse. Owners will be traceable meaning abandonment and fly grazing will become more difficult. Owners will be more accountable for the welfare of their horses.
- Your horse will be more easily recovered if stolen or strayed.
- Easier to trace; in a disease outbreak situation this can help prevent further spread.
- Allows owners to check the for sale status on the Central Equine Database.
Before the deadline:
- Make sure your horse has been microchipped. This usually costs around £20-£30 and can be combined with a routine veterinary visit. Failure to microchip your equine may result in a sanction from your local authority and a fine.
- Ensure your horses details are up to date on the Central Equine Database.
The microchipping deadline varies across the UK:
- England – 1 October 2020
- Wales – 12 February 2021
- Scotland – 28 March 2021