Make a regular donation
We can only continue to rescue and care for horses and ponies in need with help from our supporters.
Making a regular donation every month helps us budget and plan more effectively for the future.
Make a one-off donation
Making a one-off donation however large or small allows us to carry on our work supporting horses and ponies in need.
We rely on your support and even the smallest amount makes a huge difference.
Other ways to donate
- Phone: Call our dedicated team on 01626 882660 from 8:30-4:30pm Monday to Friday.
- Text: Simply text MARE22, then space, then the amount you wish to donate (e.g. MARE22 £5) to 70070. Supported by Vodafone’s JustTextGiving
- Post: Send a cheque payable to The Mare and Foal Sanctuary to: Supporter Services, Unit 2, Olympus Business Park, Kingsteignton Road, Newton Abbot, TQ12 2SA
- Shopping online with Easy Fundraising: Did you know that every time you shop online you can raise money for The Mare and Foal Sanctuary – at no extra cost to you? Thanks to Easy Fundraising, over 2,700 well-known retailers will donate a small percentage of what you spend to the Sanctuary to say thank you for shopping with them! You can visit Easy Fundraising to find out more and to get shopping!
- Read our Amazon Wishlist
This is a list of various things sold through Amazon which we need to help us look after the horses and ponies.
Can you donate your time and skills to The Mare & Foal Sanctuary?
Are you looking to learn new skills, gain valuable retail experience, make friends and improve your job prospects?
You can do all this and more while directly contributing to the care of neglected, unwanted or abused horses. We have a variety of volunteer roles at the Sanctuary for people from all walks of life.
We have a selection of specialist roles within Our Charity Shops from sorting our donated goods to pricing, window dressing, serving at the till and talking to customers. Working in the shops can be rewarding and interesting. It’s also a great way to gain valuable experience for those looking to get back into work and is suitable for almost any age and ability.
We are also looking for volunteers at our new Retail Hub- Reuse and Recycle – which is going to revolutionise the way we sell our donated stock throughout Devon. The Reuse and Recycle Store, in the Brunel Court trading estate, will be open seven days a week and will rely on volunteers to sort through everything from donated clothes to jigsaw puzzles, books to jewellery – and now bigger items, including sofas, beds and tables.
Reuse and Recycle: Unit 2, Brunel Court, Brunel Road, Newton Abbot, TQ12 4PB
There’s always something that needs tweaking or repairing and the list of general maintenance chores is ever present e.g. cutting the grass, keeping the borders tidy, checking the fencing, painting, plumbing issues etc. If you have experience or skills in any form of maintenance we’d love to hear from you.
Warehouse, stock room and retail volunteers
Our new retail store and warehouse will be opening soon with a range of exciting new opportunities! Can you help to sort, price and prepare our donated goods for sale? Or could you assist our van driver by helping to prepare deliveries to one of our charity shops. Or maybe your skills lie in shop floor sales, using the till and working directly with our lovely customers. If you have a little time spare to join our brand new team then please get in touch.
Working on the yards with the stable hands and ponies can be very rewarding but is hard work.
We welcome people with good, practical equine skills and knowledge to work alongside our grooms. If you don’t have experience with horses we still have a number of tasks available leading to opportunities to eventually work with our cheeky horses and ponies.
How to Apply…
- Fill in the online enquiry form and we will send you the relevant forms via email.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for the forms or to enquire.
Drop in to your local charity shop or to the visitor centre during opening hours for a chat about volunteering.
Call us: 01626 355969
Legacies and In Memoriam
We’re a small charity, with every single penny we receive coming from our supporters. Over the years these donations have helped us to grow and we’re very grateful for the help you’ve given us.
We know there are more horses and ponies than ever out there in desperate need of help, care and love. That’s why a gift in your will can help us accomplish much more.
The money you leave us will go directly to where it’s needed most: costly veterinary bills, specialist care and equipment, everyday things such as bedding, rugs and food, general maintenance and new projects in the future so that we can accommodate even more horses in need… the list goes on and on.
Your gift will mean more than you could ever know. It would be wonderful to think that what you left behind has saved countless horses from an unknown fate – and that you’ve given them a happy and healthy future.
Who will benefit?
We sincerely hope we don’t receive your gift for many years. But when we do, it will be used to help every horse and pony long into the future.
Your legacy will benefit horses like Jenga, Naji and little Nobby.
- Those abandoned horses who need to be rescued and looked after like the beautiful Jenga who arrived in a terrible state with a young foal at foot – she was also expecting another foal Jumanji, who was born safely at the Sanctuary
- Orphaned foals like Naji, who arrive here because they have no one to look after them. He came to us after he became separated from his mother following an attack by a stallion.
- Or great characters like Nobby, who for medical reasons cannot be rehomed. He will live out the rest of his days here in peace at our South Manor retirement yard.
How to take the next step
Please get in touch with our Supporter Services department for a special Legacy Pack on 01626 882660 or email email@example.com including your name and address. Alternatively contact the Law Society on 0207 242 1222 to find a solicitor near you.
What information will my solicitor require?
When you meet with your solicitor there are several pieces of information you’ll need to give him or her, including our name, address and Registered Charity Number. You can find these below:
The Mare and Foal Sanctuary, Honeysuckle Farm, Buckland Road, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 4SA
Registered Charity No.1141831
If you have not yet written a will, or you would like to make an addition to your current will, then please consider including The Mare and Foal Sanctuary by downloading, completing and returning this non-binding Legacy pledge form as well as requesting an information pack. Of course, if you have already written your will and left a gift to us, thank you very much for being prepared and helping us.
Remembering a loved one
It’s so hard losing a loved one and managing what’s left behind is never an easy task.
However if, in your own time, you would like to pay tribute to their memory, we have created a shared virtual space for you to use to celebrate, commemorate and share their life. Whether you have collected donations in lieu of floral tributes or want to mark a special day, your contribution helps us to do even more rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming horses in need.
You can also set up your own JustGiving page to remember your loved one and share it among family and friends on social media. Click here to create your own page.
If you would like to celebrate your loved one in a different way by organising an event, bake sale or even by running a marathon then please contact our Fundraising Team at firstname.lastname@example.org who will be able to provide you with the support you need.
Trusts and Foundations
Donations from Trusts and Foundations provide us with vital income for our work with rescued horses and ponies and we would be delighted to work with Trusts who are interested in supporting us.
We are committed to working with Trusts on an individual basis and are always happy to provide general updates on the progress of our rescue, rehabilitation and rehoming activities and specifically on work that has received specific funding.
We are always happy for Trust representatives to visit our farms around Devon to see what we do first hand.
If you would like to speak to us about making a Trust donation please contact our fundraising team on 01626 882660 or email email@example.com
We’d also like to say a big thank you to the Sir Peter O’Sullevan Charitable Trust and Petplan Charitable Trust who helped make our on site surgeries possible at our new Beech Trees Veterinary and Welfare Centre.
Their very generous donations went towards buying vital equipment needed in our Operating Theatre. We are extremely grateful to both trusts for their support.
For details of Petplan Charitable Trust please visit:
Visit our Online Shop to check out our adoptions packages, 2019 calendar and greetings cards.
Our easy to use Online Shop sells our top few products, please take a look through and add any items you like to your basket.
Money from the gifts that you buy goes towards helping our horses and ponies and the work of the Sanctuary.
Postage within the UK is included in the price of each item and if you need any additional support or would like to complete your order over the phone, please call 01626 882660.
Fundraise for us
From running marathons to sponsored silences, your wonderful fundraising challenges have helped us to continue our work helping horses in need.
Organising a Challenge
We are always so grateful for your support, and if you’re thinking of organising a challenge in the future, look no further!
Our Fundraising Team will support you every step of the way, from helping you spread the word about your challenge to publicising your final total. Call them on 01626 882660 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be able to give you all the information you require.
We love to hear about what you’re up to and, no matter how big or small, we will help to make your event as successful as possible.
To get started, why not set up a JustGiving page? This will enable you to keep all of your donations safely in one place while allowing your supporters to donate securely online.
If you’re stuck for fundraising ideas, here are just a few things you could try:
- Endurance challenges (running, swimming, climbing, walking)
- Exhilarating challenges (bungee jumping, skydiving)
- Fancy dress / Mufti days
- Sponsored rides
- Dinner dances
- Table-top sales (tack, bric-a-brac, Bake a Cake)
- Silent auctions
I’ve completed a challenge – what do I do now?
If you’ve already finished – well done! All you need to do now is send your sponsorship money to us so we can put it towards helping our wonderful horses. We can of course receive money over the phone or by post, but if you’d prefer to transfer it online, you can do so quickly and securely through our JustGiving page.
If you’d like to feature your fundraising events on our website and social media, please contact our Press Officer Jo Walmsley at email@example.com. She can have a chat to you about promoting your challenge in local newspapers.
We look forward to hearing from you soon and thank you all for your sterling efforts.
- Adoptions offer a great way for people to get involved in the Sanctuary’s work and make the perfect gift for anyone mad about horses.
- The lucky person will receive a brand new welcome pack including loads of details about their chosen horse or pony.
- The pack includes a personalised adoption certificate, a profile of their new four-legged friend, great new photographs, picture cards and a fridge magnet.
- There’s also the chance to come and visit the pony or horse in person at the Sanctuary’s Coombe Park Visitor Centre near Totnes. Just contact us to organize a suitable date and time to visit.
- Adopting a Sanctuary horse or pony costs £18 a year – working out at around 5p a day. People can adopt extra horses for £4.50 each or all five horses for just £36 a year.
- The money goes towards the Sanctuary’s work rescuing, rehabilitating and training foals, ponies and horses that have been abandoned, mistreated, neglected or orphaned.
The wonderful William is one of the Sanctuary’s greatest success stories. When he arrived he was weak, scared and emaciated but he’s now one of the most relaxed, friendly and happy ponies at the Sanctuary.
Our miniature Shetland Diddy is our tiniest adoption horse. He loves playing in the fields with his best friend Ludo. He really defines the old saying “good things come in small packages”. He’s cheeky, confident and full of life.
Ludo is a very striking boy with a calm and gentle nature. The youngster had a pretty tough time in life.
But now he’s really thriving and has proved to be a really quick learner. He loves agility training and spending time with his best friend Didy.
He is such a gorgeous and helpful chap who relishes a challenge. Quest loves a lot of fuss and attention and enjoys his time at our Coombe Park Visitor Centre because he gets to meet people from all over the country.
Here at the Mare & Foal Sanctuary, we believe that every horse deserves freedom from cruelty and the best care that can be given.
Our supporters are essential to achieving this. Without people like you donating money we couldn’t continue with our crucial work.
That’s why we, and the horses we have rescued together, owe you not only our appreciation, but our respect. That’s why we want to make some promises.
We’ll respect your privacy
- We will never sell your personal information.
- We keep your details safe and fully complying with the Data Protection Act and, from the end of May 2018, with the GDPR.
- As members of the Institute of Fundraising (IoF) and the Fundraising Regulator, we fully comply with every aspect of their codes of practice.
- We regularly invite comments from our supporters. Since 2015 we’ve asked each year if you were happy with how we contacted you. The vast majority of you were “very happy” and where people have asked us to reduce or stop contacting them, we have followed their wishes promptly.
- We always do our best not to contact anyone who may be considered vulnerable.
- If you’re upset about anything we’ve done, we’d really like to hear from you so we can try and put it right. If we make a mistake, we’ll be upfront about it, apologise and fix it – it’s the right thing to do.
We’ll keep you informed without pestering you
- We have to reach out and contact people to raise funds to help horses but we always try the most ethical and non-intrusive means we can.
- We like to say thank you when you donate, and will let you know your donation has been safely received by post or email. If you prefer not to be contacted, we can do that too – just let us know.
- We won’t telephone you out of the blue and ask for money. If you’ve asked us a question or we want to thank you and you’ve given us your number, we’ll give you a call, but we don’t use that as an excuse to put pressure on and ask for more money. We don’t pay fundraisers commission and our phone staff have no scripts or sales talk.
- We won’t stop you in the street or ring your doorbell and ask for your details or money.
- Our email newsletter has grown in popularity, but we won’t add you without your consent and we make it very easy and quick for you to unsubscribe on every email if you no longer want to receive it.
- You have given us a lot of great feedback about our newsletters, calendar and other letters so we know you like to hear about the individual horses, learn their stories and occasionally learn about some of the people working at the Sanctuary. You also like to know where your money has gone and we understand the need to be transparent with your donation.
We don’t waste your money
- Horse welfare is at the heart of everything we do.
- We follow strict “Best value” principles throughout the Sanctuary.
- We strive to be professional at all levels.
- We try to maximise your donation at no cost to you through Gift Aidand confirm your eligibility and consent.
- Our Chairman and the Board of Trustees are all volunteers who give their time freely, receiving no financial benefit.
- We update our supporters every year to show where your money goes, and ask you to see how you think we’re doing.
- Our fundraising aim is to inspire supporters to donate because they believe in what we’re doing and want to help.
What your money does
Here at The Mare and Foal Sanctuary horse welfare is everything. We try to make every penny go as far as possible.
All about our horses…
- 170 horses in direct care
- We have 174 horses out on loan
- We look after 33 retired horses
Every single one of our ponies and horses is grateful for your support. You have helped keep them happy and healthy and showed them life can be free from cruelty, hunger and pain.
Thank you. Your donation has helped us do so much.